Dairy Beef Index Explanation
x

The Dairy Beef Index (DBI) is a new breeding goal for selecting beef bulls for use in the dairy herd to promote higher quality beef cattle that are more saleable as calves and profitable at slaughter, yet have minimal consequences on the calving difficulty or gestation length of the dairy cow.

The DBI is made up of two sub-indexes: 1) the value of calving sub-index which makes up 64% of the index, and 2) the value of beef sub-index which makes up the remaining 36% of the index.

DBI values are expressed in euros. Higher DBI bulls are expected to generate more profitable progeny. For 2019, only beef AI bulls that have at least 30 progeny born to dairy dams have a DBI value.

Further information on the DBI can be found here.

(or press ESC or click the overlay)